Kozhi Kumbalanga is a traditional curry famous in Thrissur households. Chicken and white pumpkin is cooked in thick coconut milk and spices. This is not a very spicy dish and its good to have it in hot summer. Even the kids would love this.
- Chicken - 1/2kg
- White pumpkin(Ash gourd) - 1/2 Kg (cut into big pieces)
- Chilli Powder - 2tsp
- Turmeric Powder -1/2tsp
- Onion - 1big (thinly sliced)
- Ginger -1big piece (chopped)
- Garlic -2flakes (chopped)
- Tomato-1 (cut into medium pieces)
- Curry leaves
- Coconut - 1 tbsp (I used dry coconut)
- Coriender Powder - 2 tsp
- Cloves - 3
- Cinnamon -1
- Cardamom - 3
- Peppercorns - 3
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Shallots - 2-3
- Garlic - 3-4flakes
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
- Cashewnut - 5
Water - 1 cup
Coconut milk - 1 cup (1st extract)
Onion - 1/2 (thinly sliced)
Ginger - 1 small piece (chopped)
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Cook the ingredients in step 1 using a pressure cooker. Care should be taken to see that the white pumpkin is not overcooked.
2. Dry roast the ingredients in step 2 and grind it into a fine paste by adding enough water.
3. Now add the grounded paste into the cooked chicken and mix well until it starts to boil.
4. At this stage, add water, salt and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for few minutes.
5. Once the desired consistency has reached, add coconut milk.
6. As soon as the gravy starts to boil, switch off the flame.
7. Heat the coconut oil in another small pan and fry the onion and ginger until it turns golden brown.
8. Immediately transfer this to the gravy and close the lid for 2-3 mins, so that the aroma absorbs into the gravy.
9. Serve this with hot rice or idiyappam.